In this tutorial, we are going to look at how to post transactions in Tally. For example, assume that you have made a payment and you want to record this in Tally. Then follow the following steps.
- When you are in the gateway of Tally- Transactions, select Accounting Vouchers
- This opens the voucher entry screen. You need to select the type of voucher. You can select the type from the right hand side of the Tally screen, by clicking on the appropriate type, e.g. by clicking on the receipt if you are posting a receipt
- Next you fill in the voucher number – Only if you selected the method of voucher numbering as manual when you were creating the voucher.
- Date – this is the date of the transaction
- Dr – remember that accounting entries always have two sides- “the double entry concept”. The Dr is the debit side of your transaction – e.g for payment of salaries through the bank, the DR is the Salaries ledger
- Cr – This is the credit side of the transaction, e.g. for the above entry, the credit side is the bank.
- Narration – these are the details of the transaction. For example “being payment of salaries for Jan”
The above process is a simple explanation on how to post entries in Tally.